Do You need to see an audiologist in Miami? Take a Self-Test to find out
Hearing loss affects many all over the world, especially in the United States. Although we have no concrete number of how many people worldwide are affected by hearing loss we can approximate 30 million people as being diagnosed “deaf” or hard of hearing. Many people believe that only the elderly are affected by loss of hearing but in fact people of all ages are affected. Approximately 12 out of every 1,000 persons with hearing impairment is under 18 years of age, based on the most recently available NCHS statistics.
This Self-Test provided by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association allows you to determine if you have a hearing loss and need to be evaluated. If you have answered yes to more than two of these questions, you should have your hearing tested by an ASHA certified audiologist:
• Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?
• Do you hear better on one ear than the other when you are on the telephone?
• Do you have trouble following the conversation with two or more people are talking at the same time?
• Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
• Do you have to strain to understand conversation?
• Do you have trouble hearing in a noisy background?
• Do you have trouble hearing in restaurants?
• Do you have dizziness, pain, or ringing in your ears?
• Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?
• Do family members or co-workers remark about your missing what has been said?
• Do many people you talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?
• Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
• Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?
• Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?
If you live in the Miami area and need to visit a ASHA certified audiologist, visit Dr. Joseph K Duran at New Generation Hearing Centers. Dr. Duran carries the newest and most technologically advanced hearing aids. To make an appointment with Dr. Duran call 305-551-7222 or visit them online at http://www.miamihearingaids.com